Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Summit
The Office of Library and Information Services, RILA, Cornucopia and URI-GSLIS invite librarians and library staff to come together for a statewide conversation about how we might embed equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) practices into library services, programs, collections and work culture. The Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Summit is a day-long event that will include opportunities for both listening and participating throughout the day. The program includes:
- keynote address by Loren Spears, Executive Director of the Tomaquag Museum;
- breakout sessions to learn about and discuss Implicit Bias with Diversity Talks;
- panel of local community organizations promoting equity and inclusion in different communities across RI, facilitated by Cheryl Burrell, Associate Director of the RI Office of Diversity, Equity and Opportunity; and
- hands-on exercise to help generate actionable ideas for you to bring back to your library.
OLIS and its partners will continue to provide training, support and resources for EDI following the summit, and looks forward to participating in efforts to make Rhode Island libraries more diverse and inclusive spaces for both community members and library workers.
This event is open to library staff from all types of libraries and all service areas. Lunch will be served.
If any reasonable accommodation is needed to ensure equal access or participation, contact the Office of Library and Information Services at (401) 574-9300 not less than three (3) business days in advance of the meeting or program date. More advanced notice is highly advisable.
- Wednesday, August 7, 2019
- 9:00am - 4:00pm
- University of Rhode Island Library Galanti Lounge
- Event Type:
- OLIS Continuing Education