Assistive Technology to Support Low Vision and Blind Consumers
Lisa Labitt, ATP: Assistive Technology Practitioner & Director of the Children and Youth Resource Center at the East Bay Educational Collaborative, EBEC. Lisa is a strong advocate for Individuals with disabilities and is passionate about Assistive Technology. She works closely with State Partners ATAP: The Assistive Technology Access Partnership, including the RI Department of Education, RIDE Office of Student, Community and Academic Supports, RI Department of Health, Statewide Transition Programs, Healthcare Professionals and Family Support Groups. Lisa has a strong practical and theoretical foundation in assistive technology & facilitation skills with families, students and educators. She holds Certification as an Assistive Technology Professional (ATP) from California State University Northridge, College of Extended Adult Learning and Center on Disabilities. She has been with EBEC for over 20 years.
Gloria Stuart: Senior Assistive Technology Specialist & Trainer: New England Low Vision and Blindness. Representative/ Rehabilitation Specialist from Services from the Blind and Vision Impaired & Avid Library user.
Assistive (also called adaptive) technologies are digital solutions that enable people with disabilities to live independently. Blind persons can hear computer-screen text, and people with visual impairments can enlarge text, enabling independent reading. People who are unable to manipulate a mouse can enter data, and those who cannot physically hear a computer prompt can view prompts.
A Visual Presentation and Discussion on:
1. Rhode Island Vision Support Resources & Digital Literacy Resources (PPT)
2. Tablets, Mounts and Accessories to promote a physically accessible space for clients.
3. Demonstration of Assistive Technology Devices: Hands on with Hand Held Portable
Magnifiers, Tablets and Vision Apps for reading, Table-Stationary Technology Devices for
low vision and blind access.
- Thursday, December 6, 2018
- 9:30am - 12:00pm
- Warwick Public Library Idea Studio
- Lisa Labitt, ATP - Assistive Technology Specialist ATAP Children & Youth Resource Center East Bay Educational Collaborative
- Event Type:
- OLIS Continuing Education