Children's Services Roundtable: Storytimes
Important information about getting to the North Smithfield Public Library:
The bridge on Route 5 is out, so if you're coming from the North you want to take 146A off of 146N. If you're coming from the South you'll want to take the exit for RI-7 off of 295N and follow it all the way to 102. Both options pop up when you google the directions depending on your direction.
Storytime is the backbone of many children's programs, but what happens when it becomes rote and burnout is on the horizon? Time to shake up storytime, of course! Whether you're new to developing and implementing storytimes, or are singing "I Know a Chicken" in your sleep, please join us for this group discussion. We'll cover storytimes for a variety of age groups and touch on resources for digital and inclusive storytimes. We'll also learn more about the North Smithfield Public Library's StoryWalks and how you can replicate this engaging activity in your own space.
Please bring an example of your favorite storytime tool, such as:
- props - puppet, instrument, song cube, etc.
- manipulatives - scarves, ribbons, balls, etc.
- planners - checklist, spreadsheet, chart, etc.
- materials - book, app, rhyme, song, felt board, etc.
- Participants will share best practices and challenges related to storytime programming.
- Participants will be empowered to use new tools, materials, or resources to expand existing or develop new storytime programs.
- Participants will be confident that they are experts in developing and implementing effective, community responsive storytime programs.
- Participants will have a network of youth services library staff available to advise on various aspects of storytime programming.
- Participants will collectively develop a storytime resource guide to be shared on the Children's Services Round Table LibGuide.
About the Children's Services Round Table (CSRT):
CSRT is a community of practice that welcomes children's librarians from public libraries, elementary and middle school librarians, and library school students concerned with all aspects of library service to children. CSRT collaborates to produce timely book and resource lists to support librarians and library staff serving children and their families.
Related LibGuide: Children's Services Roundtable by Danielle Margarida
- Tuesday, October 16, 2018
- 1:00pm - 3:00pm
- North Smithfield Public Library
- Group Discussion
- Event Type:
- OLIS Continuing Education