Records Management for Public Libraries
All Rhode Island public libraries are subject to records retention schedules for public records created and received in the course of business. LG13: Public Library Records is the schedule for the retention and disposition of public library records. Understanding how to use state records schedules will keep you organized and reduce the amount of space needed for storage.
In this session, you will learn
- how to identify public records,
- to identify which records public libraries are responsible for scheduling,
- how to follow approved retention schedules,
- strategies to protect records until time for final disposition (i.e., make them permanent or destroy them), and
- the role that records management plays in open government.
In addition to Schedule LG 13, other applicable records schedules will be reviewed including Municipal Departments Records Retention Schedules and General Records Schedules.
The session is recommended for public library directors and administrators and administrative personnel. The focus of this program is different than the Access to Public Records Act and the Open Meetings Act program scheduled for March 11.
- Thursday, February 27, 2020
- 9:30am - 11:30am
- Warwick Public Library
- Ashley Selima, RI State Archivist and Tracey Croce, Local Government Records Analyst
- Event Type:
- OLIS Continuing Education