Be the Connection Cohort: Libraries, Teens, and Connected Learning
Connected Learning (CL) happens when a peer or adult can connect a teen's interests and skills to real world opportunities. Libraries can easily nurture these interests through programming, and are well-positioned to connect teens to future career possibilities through community relationships. In fact, most libraries are already doing this--they just don't realize it!
Join us for this five week cohort as we discuss what connected learning is, review some best practices for working with teens, and explore how you can utilize connected learning with intention at your library. This learning opportunity will be a mix of asynchronous and synchronous work. Each week participants will complete CL modules before meeting for a facilitated virtual discussion.
- The cohort will meet virtually once a week for five weeks. Meetings will be an hour long, Tuesdays at 2pm from February 2 - March 2.
- We will be using Canvas for accessing the online modules. Each module will open Wednesday mornings and participants are encouraged to complete the assigned module by 12pm the following Tuesday.
- Each module assignment will take approximately one hour to complete. Between the weekly discussions and the module assignments expect to spend about two hours a week engaging with the CL material.
- Participants should be able to commit to attending at least three of the five discussions. It is most important to attend the first discussion where we will review the Canvas platform and review the five week agenda.
- The cohort is limited to 15 participants.
- Registration is required; participants must register for only the February 2 discussion.
- This cohort is appropriate for all library staff working with tweens and teens.
- February 2, 2pm: Introduction to Canvas and Agenda Review
- February 9, 2pm: Introduction to Connected Learning
- February 16, 2pm: Self Reflection on Connected Learning
- February 23, 2pm: Theory into Practice
- March 2, 2pm: Connected Learning in Your Library and What's Next
Questions? Contact Danielle Margarida at email@example.com.
This training is part of the YALSA/COSLA IMLS grant funded project "Transforming Teen Services: a Train the Trainer Approach."
If any reasonable accommodation is needed to ensure equal access or participation, contact the Office of Library and Information Services at (401) 574-9300 not less than three (3) business days in advance of the meeting or program date. More advanced notice is highly advisable.
Related LibGuide: Young Adult Roundtable by Danielle Margarida
- Dates & Times:
- 2:00pm - 3:00pm, Tuesday, February 2, 2021
2:00pm - 3:00pm, Tuesday, February 9, 2021
2:00pm - 3:00pm, Tuesday, February 16, 2021
2:00pm - 3:00pm, Tuesday, February 23, 2021
2:00pm - 3:00pm, Tuesday, March 2, 2021
- Danielle Margarida, OLIS Youth Services Coodinator and Rebecca Ott, Tiverton Public Library Teen Librarian
- Event Type:
- OLIS Continuing Education